We’ve been a bit busy around here and apologize for the break in our regularly scheduled blog posts! We’ve been working on lots of FUN things lately (including design work for a couple of our summer weddings!) but in the midst of everything we managed an incredible styled shoot a couple of weeks ago.
Our friend Jane at Just For You Floral Design introduced us to the very talented Jakki Heil of Jakkelyn Iris Designs. She’s a fabulous up-and-coming Connecticut floral designer with an eye for perfectly organic arrangements – the type that make us just swoon. While perusing her gallery we came across an image we couldn’t stop thinking about, a photo by Katie Slater of a carved wooden box with a pair of antlers (Jakki’s grandmother actually hand carved that box!). We were inspired by its simplicity and natural beauty, and started wrapping our heads around a “Modern Organic” concept for a styled shoot.
We’ve took inspiration from strong lines and bright accent colors and decided to showcase the juxtaposition between organic elements and modern design. We chose scenes for our “Modern Organic” theme that could inspire couples seeking contemporary design elements in a more rustic or natural setting. Not every garden, barn, or outdoor venue has to have a vintage or rustic wedding style, so we paired our natural greenhouse setting with sophisticated accents. We designed a table scape and a bar scene, choosing gold, black and mint green as our palette.
Jakki provided stunning table and accent florals, the uber-talented sisters at Hartford Prints! created a gorgeous invitation suite and Eric Foley of Eric Foley Photography was on the scene to capture it all. The results were amazing and we absolutely cannot wait to share the final photos with you as soon as we can… but for now take a peek at the inspirations behind our shoot.
1. Additional antler centerpiece inspiration
2. Ikea’s TARNO folding chair added to the outdoor feel of the venue ($15)
3. Sneak peek of the custom invitation suite designed by Hartford Prints!
4. “Libations” modern bar cart with a vintage brass tarnish, by Crate & Barrel ($599)
6. Porcupine quill inspiration, we got ours on Etsy ($35)
7. Hartford Prints! custom-designed letterpress coaster
8. Local bourbon from Tuthilltown Spirits in Gardiner, NY
9. Leafy floral garland inspiration